April 21, 2014

To My Mirages,

I keep wanting to say you're wrong, but I know you're right. Eventually we'll have to let each other go. And I'm trying, but in my heart I don't really want to. I can't let go of you yet, just like I can't let go of him or her or them. I know that everyone has to let go of something, but I guess I hoped God would make an exception in my case. He didn't. I didn't really expect him to.

Have I told you why I'm so scared of the real world? Of letting you go and facing the future? Maybe you already know. Probably. I'm afraid that my future home is going to look like the one I have now and I don't want that. I rarely ever want to go home, but I no longer have an excuse to stay away. 

So now I tend to get away a lot without my parents ever knowing that's what I'm doing. The only way to describe it, really, is that I'm getting away without running away. Last week I had a little talk with God. The window was open and I just closed my eyes and felt the wind blow my hair against my face. For the first time in a long time I felt at peace because I knew everything was going to be okay. I'm going to be okay, too. I am. Everything's okay. 

There was one of the many times I drove to work. I opened the sunroof and rolled down the windows and turned the music up loud. The faster I went, the more the wind whipped my hair around, sticking it to my face, and the more I forgot. I was perfectly aware of the annoyed drivers who probably thought I was high, but I didn't care. 

Once I went to the park with my friends instead of going home. Once I went to the park with my little sister and her friends. I drove them there and then chased them around until it was time to get one of the girls home for dinner. Another time I spent three hours on the driveway painting while my sister's friend watched. She's six.

Not long ago I spent a few minutes being taught by my friend how to play Falling Slowly on the piano. I won't deny myself the small moments I can steal with the people I love, because it's not the weeks or the days or even the hours we remember. It's the moments. The moment of silence that doesn't need to be filled. The hello after years of goodbyes. The phone ringing after midnight. The look in his eyes that I can't describe, but that makes me feel connected. The soft smiles edged with sorrow. The 'I love yous' whispered when the laughter dies down. The slow pace of his breathing after he falls asleep. The stillness in the faces of the dead. The moment when I'm falling and they catch me. 

I'm desperately trying to remember that everything's okay even as the terror and the stress and the hopelessness bury themselves inside me. I'm too tired to fight back right now. I'm terrified to graduate and move on with life, and I know that all too soon real life is going to start. I'm afraid it's going to hit me like a slap in the face.

I don't want to face reality, but I know the longer I wait, the more I grow to love you, the harder it will be to enter the real world. But I don't want to let go of you just yet. I'll always love you, too.

All my love,


Midnight

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes. I am so jealous of the way you seem to so easily express yourself through these words! I'm terrible at that. Truly. You are seriously beyond talented. I'm kinda blown away by it all.
    I have comments I made to myself through out your entire post but the thing that really has altered something in me is that I've been trying to clarify what time is and how it's measured and you did it by expressing "moments". Thank you. I'll go tell Dick Tidrow now that you've helped me figure it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete