February 20, 2014

After the Rain

A raindrop hits my arm and I brush it away. Another hits my cheek and I swipe my hand across that one, too. But then the rain starts coming faster and faster and it's no use anymore. It's just a drizzle at first, but soon it's a downpour.

A car drives by and splashes a wave of water all over me... I think my new boots are ruined.

Water runs in rivulets from my hairline down into my face and I blink away some of the water as I reach up to brush it out of my eyes. I remember belatedly that my hand is wet, so it obviously doesn't do any good.

I'm going to get wet anyway, so it might as well open up and pour.

Let it rain. Let the clouds cry out as much as they want and let their tears drown me, drench me, mix with my own tears. Let the storm hit me, beat me, batter me. Let it make my hair frizzy and my skin soaked. Let the flood come out and let me feel the storm and finally learn to appreciate it. Let the rain hurt me, and I will come out stronger.

Let it rain, and then I can find out what happens after.


10 comments:

  1. "Let it rain, and then I can find out what happens after." consider this stolen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much to say, but I wanted you to know that I like this. Especially the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It might as well open up and pour." Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this. This is good. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Empowerment and enlightenment born from struggles and rain.
    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much bigger than the rain.

    I think of Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump. Sitting his legless body on top of the shrimp boat, challenging God to bring on the rain.

    I think of when I was a kid and the lake was cold and I tried to inch my way in. That just made it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now want to go dance in the rain because of this post. Also Im really liking your love song playlist...Trading yesterday is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete