February 22, 2014

Melody

My body screams at me with everything it has. It keeps telling me not to move anymore, to just stop, lay down, and go back to sleep. I am about to give in when I hear it. The softest strains of music floating on the breeze into my ears, into my mind, into my soul...

My feet are scarred because my shoes are too small, and my muscles still burn, but I don't care because the music is getting louder now, and I can ignore the discomfort that is everywhere because the music is there and it is my escape...

Boiling water hits my stiff, cold, aching hands and I recoil, but I dismiss the throbbing because I hear the music. I begin to hum along as the melody offers relief from the agony I am in, and I suddenly I no longer have to ignore it, I just forget as the music takes over...

My throat cries out as it closes up and I struggle to draw a breath, the oxygen unable to get into my lungs. My choking gasps are loud to my ears, but no one seems to notice them. I can't hum or sing along anymore, I can hardly breathe, but the music is louder than it's ever been, and I know I can keep going...

There is music in my ears and I don't care about the rest of it, about the aches and the pains and the misery I thought I was in. I'll keep fighting to draw another breath just so I can continue to hear the music...

No, no, the music is getting softer now, and the pain is coming back. I try to push it away, to forget about it again, but now I am struggling to hear the melody and I have nothing to help me fight back anymore...

Pain and exhaustion demand my attention again, and this time I give in. I sink to my knees and let my tired soul rest. Despair takes over and I close my eyes...



The music is gone...


...and it's not coming back.

1 comment:

  1. I want to say this is music to my ears but I only read it in my head.

    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete