May 16, 2014

Unforgotten

"And then they leave you and you have nothing, but you just keep going."
"Just keep going. There's nothing else you can do, is there?"
-
"We're just old ladies."
"But you're still beautiful."
-
"They took it away. He was pretty mad about that."
"I'm sorry."
-
"Please listen to the music."
"I'm listening."
-
"I have people coming."
"Okay."
-
"I'm the worst person here. If you don't believe me, ask them."
"Oh, don't say that. It's not true."
-
"What did you do today?"
"I can't remember."
-
"I won't give up. I won't."
"Good, don't ever give up."
-
"I think there's something wrong with me."
"No, you're perfect."
-
"Please let me try again. This is hard."
"You can always try again."
-
"Take me home. Please, take me home."
"Just relax. You're going to be okay."


It breaks my heart, the wrinkles around the vacant eyes and blank smiles. The off-key humming and confusing conversation. The memories that will never be remembered, or that only make sense inside their minds.

I keep going back anyway. 




I wonder if I lied when I told her she'd be okay.

1 comment:

  1. I understand this so perfectly because I feel like this every time I go. Except that scares and deters me where it doesn't you.

    ReplyDelete