March 18, 2014

Dreaming

The sky is getting darker but the streetlights and headlights and houselights are getting in the way so I can't see the stars anymore. I wish they would turn off the lights, because the stars can't shine without darkness, and when I finally get away from all the lights, the stars shine brighter and then I think of you.


You always liked looking at the stars. I remember the night that all you wanted to do was look at them. You just wanted to look at the stars. And so did I. So I put my head on your shoulder and we watched them until we fell asleep.


It's so dark out but I can still see the clouds, like a mermaid's long, pale fingers stretching out into a deep blue-black sea, searching for the small white diamonds called stars. Dreaming of touching them. I want to touch them.



But every time the mermaid gets close enough to touch, the stars somehow just slip through her fingers. It's all right, though, because it's the dreaming that matters, even though it sometimes hurts.


And I'm going to keep dreaming. 

1 comment: